The Technician Commitment is a sector wide, collaborative initiative supported by the Gatsby’s Technicians Make it Happen campaign. The Commitment aims to ensure visibility, recognition, career development and sustainability for technicians working in higher education and research, across all disciplines. Universities and research institutes are invited to become signatories of the Technician Commitment and pledge action against the key challenges affecting their technical staff.
The commitment includes 5 key areas:
1. Visibility - Ensure that all technicians within the organisation are identifiable and that the contribution of technicians is visible within and beyond the institution
2. Recognition - Support technicians to gain recognition through professional registration
3. Career Development - Enable career progression opportunities for technicians through the provision of clear, documented career pathways
4. Sustainability -Ensure the future sustainability of technical skills across the organisation and that technical expertise is fully utilised
5. Evaluating Impact - Regularly assess the impact of actions taken in support of the commitment to ensure their effectiveness